The Department of Romance Languages and Literatures offers several programs that lead to or accompany another Bachelor of Arts degree.
To pursue either a major in French or Spanish or a minor in Afro-Romance Literatures in Translation, French, Italian Area Studies, Romance Literatures in Translation, or Spanish the student must initiate the graduation plan by filling out the required forms with the help of an Undergraduate Studies Adviser. All forms are subject to approval by the Undergraduate Adviser and the Dean (in 107 Lowry Hall) prior to registration for the first semester of the junior year.
Double Major/Dual Degree
Additionally, the Department encourages its better students to consider the possibility of a double major (2 degrees within the College of Arts and Science) or a dual degree (a second major outside Arts and Science) in order to enhance future job prospects.
Students who work towards a double major may be able to complete them with a minimum of 120 hours. Students who are considering a dual degree program, in Arts and Science and in another School or College are advised that a minimum of 132 credit hours will be necessary.
Other Languages: Catalan
Our department now offers two classes in Catalan Language and Culture that meet general education requirements in the Humanities sector. They are:
Romance Languages (RM_Lan) 2200: Introduction to Catalan Language and Culture, and;
Romance Languages (RM_Lan) 3200: Catalan Culture and Identity
For more information, contact Professor Monica Marcos-Llinas at: Marcosllinasm@missouri.edu (573) 882-1508.
Additionally, the department offers a variety of activities for undergraduate students in Columbia.
- Advanced Standing for foreign language taken prior to Fall 2016 (BACK CREDIT)
- Advanced Standing for foreign language taken during and after Fall 2016 (BACK CREDIT)
- General Education Requirements
- French major form for students admitted prior to fall 2013
- French major form for students admitted in fall 2013 or after
- Spanish major form for students admitted prior to fall 2013
- Spanish major form for students admitted in fall 2013 or after
- Afro-Romance Literatures minor
- French minor
- Italian minor
- Luso-Brazilian Area Studies (Portuguese) minor
- Romance Literatures minor
- Spanish minor
Dr. Valerie Kaussen
Director of Undergraduate Studies
133 Arts & Science Building
Assistant Instructor of Spanish
155 Arts and Science Building
Fall 2017 Office Hours
Mon/Wed 11:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday 11:00am - 2:00pm
Thursday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Friday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Or by appointment.