PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2001
20th Century Literature
Dr. Tabanelli’s research interests are in contemporary Italian cinema and literature, film studies, cultural studies, Neapolitan cinema and literature, transnational cinema, and posthuman theories. She has published a book on Neapolitan cinema, I ‘pori’ di Napoli. Il cinema di Mario Martone, Antonio Capuano e Pappi Corsicato (Longo Editore, 2011) and articles on a number of Italian contemporary writers and filmmakers, which have appeared in Annali d’Italianistica, Italian Culture, Italica, Journal of Italian Cinema & Media Studies, New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporay Film, Studies in European Cinema, as well as in various volumes and collections. She is also the author of a textbook for intermediate to advanced Italian composition courses, Scrivi bene! Writing Effectively in Italian (Farinelli, 2016) and co-author of the Film Study Program Bianco e nero (Edizioni Farinelli, 2013) and the Workbook and Lab Manual for Crescendo! 2nd ed. (Thomson Heinle, 2007). Dr. Tabanelli is currently working on a book-length project on contemporary Italian transnational cinema. For this research, she was granted a Fellowship Residency by the Bogliasco Foundation.
Selected recent publications
- “Transnational Memories: An Interview with Marco Bechis.” Journal of Italian Cinema & Media Studies 5.1, 2017: 83-92
- “Authorial Visions: Saverio Costanzo’s Negotiation with Auteurism.” Journal of Italian Cinema & Media Studies 4.2, 2016: 211-229.
- “Mario Martone.” In R. Capozzi, F. Nardi, D. Pietropaolo, D. Santeramo (eds.), XX Century Italian Playwrights. Rome: Universitalia Editrice, 2016. 564-581.
- “Blue-Haired Girl Mnemonic: Italian Sci-Fi Nirvana.” g/s/i 2, 2015.
- “The Violence of History in Marco Bechis’s Argentina.” New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporary Film 9.2-3, 2011: 127-146.
- “An Unstable Body: The Cinema of Antonietta De Lillo.” Studies in European Cinema 8.2, 2011: 89-100.
- “Al di là del corpo: la narrativa postumana di Laura Pugno.” Italian Culture 28.1, 2010: 3-20.
- “Il cinema ‘privato’ di Saverio Costanzo.” In D. De Pau and S. Dubrovic (eds.), Zoom d’oltreoceano: istantanee sui registi italiani e sull’Italia. Manziana: Vecchiarelli, 2010. 335-351.